Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Whole Foods - Review/New Products

I absolutely love whole foods for its clean, comfortable ambiance, spacious aisles and variety of selection for us food-allergy sufferers. I love the fact that as you walk in you can pull a wipe for your cart (which I had no reaction to!)
There is an extensive gluten-free collection and tons of new things to try that do not contain soy or nuts.

For my past two visits, I went a little crazy with trying some seed bars in the seed/snack aisle since I knew I was going to Jamaica for four days. I picked up Go Raw Pumpkin Bar and the Go Raw Spirulina Energy Bar to snack on in the plane. I would HIGHLY recommend the Pumpkin bar over the Spirulina, based on taste and texture. I found the Spirulina bar to be very hard to chew and very "healthy" tasting, while the pumpkin bar had a nutty, slighty salted taste which was very good (once again, no worries! There are NO NUTS). I also picked up the 16 OZ Go Raw Organic Sunflower Seeds with Celtic Sea Salt which were absolutely DELICIOUS! There are absolutely NO NUTS or SOY in any of these products (but there is coconut and sesame seeds)

I also picked up Spaans Vanilla Meringue cookies which were absolutely PERFECTLY DELICIOUS! This cookie is perfect for children and those with a sweet tooth. There is no soy or nuts in the ingredients and there is a labeling on it that says: Good manufacturing practices used to segregate ingredients in a facility that also processes peanuts, soy, wheat, dairy and tree-nut products.
They also had chocolate meringues and lemon meringues which I will probably try next time.

In the refrigerated section with the kombucha and bottled drinks was a new, interesting-looking drink which looked to contain tons of pomegranate seeds...so I figured why not try it? It was called Organic Mamma Chia Rasberry Passion vitality beverage which contains a whopping 2500 Omega-3s and 4 grams of protein per bottle! It contains no GMOs and 6 grams of fiber! They were a bit expensive but considering what you're getting in one bottle, its probably worth it. The seeds were not actually pomegranate seeds, but chia seeds which have been used by the Mayas and Aztecs for their healing powers.

In the refrigerated meat section I found different kinds of steaks by Verde Farms, which are grass-fed beef so no worries about a soy reaction from the feed!! I bought the sirloin steak with peppercorn spices which looked so fresh, the price didn't push me away. I will update this blog as soon as I cook it!

In the frozen section by the pizzas, I found Michael Angelo's Pocket Calzones in Pepperoni & Cheese Pizza and Spinach and Vegetable which were both DELICIOUS and in my opinion even tastier than Hot Pockets brand. These calzones contain NO SOY OR NUTS which is the best part!! The spinach and vegatable one has a strong, garlicky vegetable taste with delicious basil and left me wanting more! Its hard to believe that both of these calzones contain organic ingredients! These are absolutely perfect to store in the freezer for on the go or as a between meals snack!

Since they were on sale, I couldn't resist buying the Santa Cruz Organic Lemonade, Strawberry Lemonade and Raspberry Lemonades. They're all absolutely delicious and so refreshing...I like to mix with half water so that it is not too sweet.

For breakfast, I got Applegate Farms Classic Pork Breakfast Sausage and Applegate Farms Organic Sunday Bacon which are both delicious with fried/ sunny-side up eggs and I like it with white jasmine rice fried in a bit of organic Nutiva coconut oil (haha I know that's weird but don't knock it til you try it!) If you are cooking the bacon for the whole family, you may want to get more than one package since when cooked, they shrink down to half the amount/size of any normal non-organic bacon you buy in the grocery store. I had no reaction to either of these meats and there are no soy or nut ingredients in either one.

I hope you enjoyed this week's menu as much as I did shopping for it!



No comments:

Post a Comment