Friday, October 4, 2013

Soy and Gluten in USDA Organic Milk?

I haven't talked much about my gluten issues, mainly because I've only gone gluten-free with all of my food in the past year, but I haven't gone strict with my toothpaste, makeup, shampoo and conditioner.

The past few days I've had horrendous body aches and sharp, piercing pains in lower back by my hip (could that be my liver or kidneys?) which I attributed about 5 days ago to the Organic Oat milk I stupidly consumed, completely forgetting that oat anything for Celiacs is bad.

Whenever I have the severe pain I also get tired and depressed and my allergies definitely add to that. I've been on Allegra during the day and (Target brand since its soy-free and gluten-free) Zyrtec at night. I've been taking Tylenol for the pain (still have to check if it has soy) and it has occurred to me that if there is gluten in Tylenol, it could also be causing my severe body aches. *sigh* UPDATE: I cannot take Tylenol because I do get a soy reaction after a few doses.

Its all so exhausting. And expensive.

My mind automatically goes to list all the foods I consumed during the day. I'm lactose intolerant and I continue to consume dairy because it is really one of my favorite food groups...but could my gluten symptoms be the USDA Organic milk or USDA Organic chocolate milk I'm drinking? Could it be from the feed the cow is consuming? I wrote to customer service to find out and will add their response to this post as soon as I receive it.

UPDATE--HERE IS THE RESPONSE:

Dear Maya,

Thank you for contacting Organic Valley.

All cows get a mixture of organic forages and organic grains (except for the cows that produce Grassmilk products) in their diet. Forages are grass, hay, silage, baylage and other “green feeds”. Hay is simply dried plant material like grass and alfalfa. Silage and baylage are fermented or “wet” plant material. Grains include corn, barley, soybeans, oats, wheat, field peas and flax.  Because we encourage our farmers to grow their own feedstuffs whenever possible, there may be other grains that are fed in a particular region, at a particular time of year. The amounts may vary depending on the individual farmers management techniques but overall, grains will typically not exceed more than 30% of the cow's diet. 

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.


So there's my answer. I definitely do appreciate their honesty.

 No more Starbucks milk for me....because if a USDA Organic Milk company uses soy and peas, things I'm severely allergic to as the feed, as well as barley, which probably added to my celiac reaction, what more of non-organic milk???

 For now, I'm going to avoid milk unless it is grass-fed and going out to Whole Foods now to see what my options are.

UPDATE: I found several grass-fed products over the past two weeks! 

Maple Hill Creamery Yogurt - "Made from 100% grass-fed cows" Bought at Whole Foods. The layer of cream on the top was weird the first time but then I got used to it and I love this yogurt for the fact that that cream at the top probably contains tons of omega3s and the flavors are mild with very little sugar in comparison to big-named store brands. I tried Lemon and Vanilla....Lemon was my favorite.

Kerrygold Irish Butter - "Made from grass-fed cows" Have yet to try. Bought from Whole Foods

Kerrygold Dubliner 100% Natural Cheese "Made from grass-fed cows" Delicious, tasty cheese with a slight bite.

 USDA Organic Grass-Fed Ghee by Organic India, which is now one of my favorite sites to check unusual USDA Organic items.

Hopefully this helps some of you food allergy parents or people who are suffering and don't know where its coming from.

UPDATE: Many International Delight creamers sold in the refrigerated section of the grocery are gluten-free AND dairy-free!! I'm not sure if they all are, but its definitely worth looking into. They do have natural and artificial flavors UPDATE: these DO likely contain soy in the natural flavors. It took me a couple of days to react but I definitely did.

 

13 comments:

  1. Oh, honey, I'm so sorry! I don't mean "honey" to offend you, I just want people to love on me when I'm that sick, so I hope you take it in that spirit. Thank you for the heads' up. It helps as a fellow soy allergy sufferer to know that other people are extremely sensitive as well, and that it's not all in my head.

    On a side note, Tylenol is soy free? Awesome blossom. Do you have a brand of Ibuprofen that works for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Yes, you are very correct. We def want love when we're sick, so I accept the compassion, gladly!

    Ooooh, good question. In my soy 'coma' I didn't even think of that. I looked up the gluten aspect of it but am unsure if its soy-free. I also take Advil for ibuprofen so I should def look into that too. I will find and and post as soon as I know for sure.

    Thank you so much for reading and sympathizing with support. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I recently got diagnosed with ee and I am allergic to soy and rice. I found your article to be so helpful and I got your blog spot from another website saying you may know this question: which allergy medicines are safe to take?? I can't find a real answer anywhere :/ and soy is in everything.. I'm feeling so discouraged. Thanks for all the help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon,

    Brand-name Allegra is soy-free and so is Target's Up and Up Brand of Zyrtec (cetirizine hydrochloride).DO NOT take regular Zyrtec, I had bad rashes for months before figuring this out. I also take Benadryl with no problems so hopefully that is also an option for you. =) So happy you found me and I hope that helps!
    Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much!! I wasn't aware of benadryl, that makes things a bit easier!! I was taking the kids benadryl but then I was a hit nervous about it. It does help so much. Thank you so much for having a blog out there, it's helped me so much since I've found out! I have one more medicine question. I read that you take stomach medicine. Do you take an anti acid or poi (like priolsec)? If so which ones have been proven safe? Thank you again!

    Cristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cristi,

    You're very welcome. I take generic prescription stomach meds. Currently on omeprazole, with no reaction and famotidine 40 mg (generic for Pepcid) at night. Generics might be different depending upon manufacturer, so this might be a trial and error for you, but just make sure you tell your gastrointestinologist or primary care that you are allergic to some magnesium stearate binders in pills as well as stearic acid (usually from soy). If the doc is good, they will help you find one you can have. Sometimes the magnesium stearate doesn't cause a reaction, it all depends on where the manufacturer sources it.

    Wishing you all the best~ its all a huge lifestyle change for you but you will be stronger from it all, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - Before prescription meds I was taking Zantac 75 with no probs. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for all the info! I started taking my generic prilosec again this morning so we will see how it goes. Does it matter what pharmacy you get the generic one from or should it be the same? Like I get mine from cvs. Thanks so much again for the words of encouragement!!

    Cristi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you ever try the brand name prilosec? I read in a study that generic has soy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cristi,

    I take the generic (Omeprazole with no prob) although the past few days I have had many achy muscles (usually due to being glutened) so I'm still trying to figure out where that is coming from. I did read that acid reducers leach calcium from bones so I may have to add a calcium supplement.

    Also, you can find out info on the binders and ingredients by calling your pharmacy and speaking to your pharmacist. They usually do not have the answers since they are not the manufacturer but they can give you the dierect number to the manufacturer to get some answers. I get my omeprazole from Wal Mart pharmacy. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon,

    I haven't tried brand-name Prilosec, no, but for the most part, you are correct, many generics do have soy because it is a cheap filler/binder. Its usually trial and error for me and I usually know within 24-48 hrs if it contains soy...I get the irresistible urge to sleep/fatigue, other female hormonal issues/yeast infection/depression or moodiness then progressing to hives if pills accumulate in my system.

    I hope that answers your question. Thank you for stopping by =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maya,

    Thank you for your informative site! Have you found a soy-free brand of ibuprofen? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Roberta!

    You're very welcome and thank you for stopping by! YES! Up & Up Brand (Target's Private label) is 100% soy-free!!! Its the only one I use now. Here's the link in case you need it! http://bit.ly/1vv1kXD

    ReplyDelete