Sunday, January 31, 2010

Soy Derivatives

Hidden in foods and drinks

OLIVE OIL from other countries (see my olive oil blog post)

Eggs (if you are sensitive to soybean oil, you will likely react to non grass-fed chicken eggs)

chicken (most on the market are soy-fed. Choose organic and call company if you're sensitive to soybean oil)

beef (buy grass-fed only. same rule applies. If you are sensitive to soybean oil or natural flavors you will likely react to soy-fed beef)

FISH (choose wild-caught ONLY. Farm-raised fish are almost always fed soy)

AVOID canned goods which may have soy in lining for adhesion. Opt for glass containers or USDA Organic products to avoid this.


gum Arabic

tocopherol acetate (vitamin E)


bulking agent

carob

citric acid

emulsifier

guar gum (usually contains about 10% soy protein and is also a close cousin of soybeans)

hydrolized vegetable protein (HVP)

lecithin/soy lecithin
 
miso

magnesium stearate (used in many medicines..must call company)

USDA Organic Milk (cows are usually fed soy, grains, peas, etc.--go for grass-fed if you're sensitive to soybean oil you will likely be sensitive to milk that's fed with soy)

MSG (Monosodium Glutamate)

natural flavors

xanthan gum (some is grown on soy)

protein

protein extender

soy flour

soy nuts

soy panthenol

soy protein

soy protein isolate or concentrate

soy sauce

soybean

soybean oil

stabilizer

starch

stearic acid (used as binder in vitamins and in many lotions, creams, cosmetics)

textured vegetable protein (TVP)

thickener

vegetable broth


vegetable gum

vegetable starch

tofu
 
Hidden soy derivatives in lotions, creams, bath products, household products, lawn and auto etc....
 
Vitamin E (may likely be derived from soy. Call manufacturer to be sure)

PEG-10 soya sterol

glycerin (usually made from soybean oil. call manufacturer to find out)

glycerine

Soy sterol

Soy protein

Soy protein concentrate

Proteins
 
Soybean protein

Soy acid

Soy acid;

Acids, soy;

Fatty acids, soya

PEG-16 soy sterol

PEG-75 soy glycerides

Stearic Acid

Soybean sterol

Soy glyceride, hydrogenated

Soybean oil, maleated

PEG-5 soy sterol

Alkyd resin solution

Soya oil, phthalic anhydride, pentaerythritol polymer;

Soybean oil, polymer with pentaerythritol and phthalic anhydride;

1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic anhydride, pentaerythritol, soybean oil

polymer;

Pentaerythritol, phthalic anhydride, soybean oil polymer

Soy protein, hydrolyzed

Hydrolyzed soy protein;

Soy protein, hydrolyzed;

Protein hydrolyzates, soya

Quaternary ammonium salts

Quaternary ammonium compounds, ethyldimethylsoya alkyl, Et

Soyethyldimonium ethosulfate;

Dimethylethylsoyaammonium ethosulfate

Vegetable Oil

Lecithin

Lecithins

Lecithine

Soybean lecithin

Soybean oil blend

Soybean oil

Extract of soy

Oils, soybean;

Soy germ extract;

Soya oil;

Soybean Oil [USAN]

Alkyd resin

Linseed oil, polymer with pentaerythritol, phthalic anhydride,

oil, styrene and vinyltoluene

Soybean meal

Soyaethyl morpholinium ethosulfate

Morpholinium compounds

N-ethyl-N-soya alkyl

ethyl sulfates

N-Soya-N-ethyl morpholinium ethosulfate

Soyatrimonium chloride


N-(Soya alkyl)-N,N,N-trimethyl ammonium chloride



Quaternary ammonium compounds



trimethylsoya



alkyl chlorides



Quaternium-9



Soya trimethyl ammonium chloride




 

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this list. We're just figuring out that my daughter has a soy allergy and it is overwhelming trying to figure out all the different forms of soy that are hidden in food, cosmetics, cleaners, etc. I am printing this post and putting it in my purse so that I will have this list to refer to as I'm reading labels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,

    Yes, soy and corn are probably the hardest allergies to deal with in my opinion, but it has to be done. On the plus side, it makes you so much more aware of what you are eating and how it is processed or shows up at your market...which ultimately, keeps us a lot healthier than most of the population.

    You are definitely not alone and I'm sorry your daughter has to deal with this. Its beautiful she has such a diligent and careful parent to protect her and I give you accolades for being so careful...she will never forget that. Thank you for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonya,

    You're very welcome. Sorry I saw this so late! Sometimes the Blogger gremlins hide them from me! =) Thanks for stopping by and so glad it helped you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, Maya. I am soooo glad that you posted this list. It's the best one I've seen. And beyond value for newbies like me. My husband and I are going to print it out and scour the house for everything this weekend! I went thru some things a while ago... Looking for "soy" and "vegetable" in my beauty products bc I have had a lingering face rash (bumpy but not really too pink) for going on 3 years now. Found issues in my face lotion and cleanser and since winter hit, I've been adding Vitamin E to my new soy free facial lotion in the morning. *falls of chair*. We were both speechless. Anyway... If you free a little odd... It's just me sending psychic hugs your way lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Angie thank you for the hugs, hon! I'm so glad you found this list, too! It took years to figure out so many of the things on it and I'm sure your reactions will be so much less the more info you have!!

      Also, here is a Vitamin E that is completely soy-free =) http://amzn.to/1KwJ4Z7

      Stay updated and join the Soy Allergy Board on Facebook if you're on there...there's always new products there or new findings that you need to know.

      Being new, you might also want to read this since soy is in newspaper ink and box printing ink!!

      http://mayashappyplace.hubpages.com/hub/Does-Newspaper-Allergy-Exist

      Sending healing energetic hugs your way, too!!! =) Keep your immune system up and thank you so much for visiting and taking the time to comment. It means the world to me to know this helped you.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your blog! I've been struggling for 10 years to full comprehend this tricky allergy! TY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never. *hugs* Just saw this now. You're very welcome.

      Delete
  7. I just had to comment because you are a lifesaver with this list. My sister developed a soy allergy from her thyroid medication and it has been a horrible discovery that so much of it is included in so many things. She ends up sick for days if she ingests any portion and it is heartbreaking to watch her. Now with this list we can be better informed of what exactly to look for and avoid. So thank you thank you thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my comments go undetected so I just saw this now! I'm so happy to hear that and hope she is managing it well. I've realized some new information about soy allergy which I'll be detailing in an upcoming blog. Sending you and your sister hugs and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Hello I have found this so helpful !! So thank you so much for your time in writing this !

    I was wondering what you did for sun cream ? I have looked everywhere , read everything ect Not one seems like it may be okay . Bit worried as I’m okay with giving up some products if I can’t find something suitable but sun cream is fairly crucial.

    I am from the UK by the way but wouldn’t mind importing.

    Thanks so much !

    ReplyDelete