Monday, September 24, 2012

Arsenic In Rice - How It Affects Special Diets (And What to Do About It)

The findings last week by Consumer Reports on arsenic in rice grown both in the USA and abroad have stunned the nation and probably sent people with food-allergies and on gluten-free diets panicking as to what to replace all their rice products with -- or are people just not thinking about it?

As someone with food-allergies and sensitivity to soy, most of my bread, chips and carbohydrate staples are made from rice...but it turns out that items made from brown rice or brown rice itself, grown in the USA contain the highest levels of arsenic. White rice from the United States ranks a close second, and asian countries have the lowest arsenic levels, based on the ones tested through Consumer Reports but this does not account for the many brands available--and the fact that Asian diets center much more around rice than the American diet which puts them and Hispanics possibly more at risk!

Being half Asian (part Filipino descent), jasmine rice is a huge staple for all three meals, breakfast (I eat it with eggs), lunch and dinner! I have always lived with a rice-cooker in my kitchen and we go through large Costco bags of rice from Thailand in a month and a half...which for most, would last 6 months. Not to mention my precious rice chips, rice pasta and rice milk!

So what do we do?

You have one of two choices: limit your intake of rice/rice products grown in the USA and your rice intake in general and only buy rice from Thailand/India, where rice is a staple and sent all over the world, OR, start using herbs/superfoods and supplementing your diet with natural detoxifiers. It can't hurt to supplement your diet with something natural like modified citrus pectin, which has been shown in US studies to increase elimination of several toxins like mercury, cadmium, lead and arsenic. I also found this useful information on EarthClinic.com written by Bill from San Fernando, Philippines who says, "There is an easy way to detox arsenic. Much has already been said on the usefulness of Sodium Thiosulfate(ST) on this site for detoxing heavy metals. But ST is also used by the medical profession to help recover people suffering from both cyanide and arsenic poisoning by removing these substances from the body safely. You can buy this online or you can simply go to an aquatics shop and buy the ST there(where I got my ST). Usually it is sold as a 10% solution and is mainly used to remove chlorine from fish tanks because chlorine is highly poisonous to fish. The dosage is 8 to 10 drops in a glass of water(half this dose for children). ST is tasteless and easy take. But when you take ST for the first time it is likely that you will have diarrhea initially -- but this is only due to the ST flushing out heavy metals initially from your intestines and this normally only ever happens once -- it depends on the extent of heavy metals absorption in your body at the time. When I first took ST, I never had diarrhea so it doesn't always happen.
My own detox strategy, since I regard buying organic food as impossible where I am living now, is therefore completely defensive and preventative. So it becomes necessary for me to detox myself continuously against heavy metals, halogens, pesticides and all the rest. For this I simply use alkalizing, lugol's iodine, ST, Vitamin C and fulvic/humic acid as my basic strategy and I also support my liver(which is the main detoxing organ of the body) and kidneys using Alpha Lipoic Acid, Selenium, Milk thistle and Chanca Piedra. This liver support greatly stimulates Glutathione production in the liver, which aids in detoxing and purifying the blood. I also alkalize regularly and drink green tea quite often and I eat cilantro in salads several times a week which all helps to remove heavy metals and helps to balance calcium in the body."

Before taking sodium thiosulfate (ST) or anything else on this blog, I would check first with a doctor to see if it could be a potential allergen based on your history. I would also check if the stuff you decide to take could interact with any medications you are currently taking. And last, but probably most important, be sure the product is approved for human consumption by the FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment