Friday, August 31, 2012

Uncle Giuseppe's in Smithtown, NY - Review

Uncle Giuseppe's is the primo Italiano grocery on Long Island, NY. I go to the one in Smithtown, NY which hosts a live crooner on Sunday afternoons, walking around and singing Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin hits along with so many others...adding a laid-back yet reminiscent atmosphere that only adds to your shopping experience.

Uncle Giuseppe's also carries an EXTENSIVE array of gluten-free items and allergy-free foods.
The last time I was there, I bought Edward & Sons Organic Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes in a box. Can I tell you one of the BEST mashed potato experiences I've ever had? I added two pinches of salt and used my Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil (from Vitamin Shoppe) in place of butter. Sooo tasty and convenient!!! I ended up going back and buying three!

The gluten-free frozen section carried quite a few allergy-free items and I opted for Against The Grain Gourmet Three-Cheese Pizza which retailed for  14.99. When I decided to bake it, I broke the pizza in half and threw the other half back in the freezer for a later date, since I couldn't finish a whole.  I baked it til it was not just melted, but a few minutes more than it says so that the top cheese part was a bit crispy. This pizza was DELICIOUS and I will definitely be buying again...the cheese was sooo tasty and the bread had a nice crispness to it when you bite.

I bought Freebird Chicken Nuggets from the frozen section and was disappointed with the texture since it is basically bread-crumbed pieces of chicken as opposed to a batter. I found them a bit boring/bland and will not buy them again, but there are so many choices in this frozen section, I will surely be back for something else!

I also buy my Genova Tuna in Olive Oil from here which has been safe with no soy in my experience. I usually eat with a side of white rice, sprinkling of salt, sprinkling of McCormick garlic, sprinkling of fresh black pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Sooo delicious when I'm craving fish or sushi.

I also LOVE their pasta sauces for when I don't feel like cooking including their store-brand Bolognese Sauce and the Vodka Sauce in their refrigerated section.Their store-brand Baguette Italian Bread in their bakery section is made fresh daily, contains no nuts or soy and since I can't finish a whole loaf, I freeze what I can't finish and rebake it later on. Make sure you read the ingredients to be sure which bread I'm talking about, since they do have a vast collection.

I bought a few bags of Dole Wildy Nutritious Signature Blends Frozen Fruits (on sale last week) which come in Cherries, Peaches, Mixed Berries, Blueberries, Strawberries and a couple more. I use a half a bag for my smoothies and either mix in two heaping tablespoons of Stonyfield Farm 0% Plain Yogurt or half a packet of Bluebonnet Original Flavor Whey Protein Isolate (which may be found at A Healthy U in Oyster Bay, NY 516-802-0750. *Note: Only the packets are tried/tested/outlined on packets to be soy-free. I am not sure about the bulk or container items)
I also add about a teaspoon of Stevia zero-calorie sugar to my shakes or two tablespoons of honey, then one to two cups of water depending on how thick you like your smoothies.

I will add more to this review as I try products so be sure to check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment