Friday, August 31, 2012

Naturally Free Food in Smithtown, NY - Review

I saw this shop while driving around Smithtown, NY and figured, "sure, why not." I walked into this tiny shop that is a converted schoolhouse which literally feels like you are walking into a dollhouse. It is very tiny but charming and chock full of gluten-free goodies. I saw quite a few allergy-free items,
but also saw that most things were repeats of what I could buy at other health food stores/gluten-free places. The owner was with a customer so I kind of wandered around the aisles. I did see some unique grocery items such as a tomato-free tomato sauce and gummy candies with no soy. She was also running back and forth from the kitchen chopping up something to cook, since she does tastings at the store daily. I ended up buying a bag of frozen Allergy Free Foods Company Chicken Breast Nuggets which retailed for 9.99 for 24 oz. and Celifibr Chicken Poulet Bouillon by Maple Grove Foods (no GMOs, no soy) which was about 5.99 for 6 cubes. I then introduced myself to the owner, Christine who I told I have soy/nut allergy. She then told me about a little boy she had made cupcakes for the day prior who couldn't have wheat, dairy, nuts, soy, milk or eggs. It was his birthday, so it was a special order. I then realized that although we do go through alot with our allergies, some people have it much worse and it made me smile to know she was helping such children enjoy their childhood.

I baked the nuggets later that week and was VERY impressed with them. They have a similar texture to McDonald's chicken nuggets without the soy!!! They are DELICIOUS! I will definitely go back for these nuggets, which I sided with Edward and Sons Organic Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes (which I found at Uncle Giuseppe's) and Bird's Eye Steamfresh Green Beans (which can be found in most regular groceries and Uncle Giuseppe's) with a nice sprinkling of salt over all. Mmmmm, perfect meal!

Naturally Free Food is located at 9 Singer Lane in Smithtown, NY 11787 (631) - 656- 5440

No comments:

Post a Comment