Saturday, February 9, 2013

How To Avoid Soy Derivatives and Gluten In Lotion, Soap and Cosmetics - OCTOBER Update 2014

Its the end of summer and and you're either itchy and miserable from ragweed allergies, food allergies or maybe even celiac disease or gluten intolerance. You still need to stay clean, look good and feel good and the last thing you need are products to make you sick.



If you're a guy with soy allergies or a caretaker for a child with soy allergies, read on--this affects you too!

Having worked as a makeup artist for fourteen years, I got to know thousands of products and ingredients over the years. At each company I worked for, I would get 'mysterious' reactions from products and realized with trial and error that I'm allergic
and get contact dermatitis to: dimethicone and all liquid silicone derivatives, nickel, lanolin and most PEGs, Vitamin E (tocopherol acetate), stearic acid/vegetable stearic acid and glycerin or vegetable glycerine which are from soy.

Those of us with nut allergies are lucky that not too many bath, beauty or skincare products contain nuts, but to avoid the slight possibility, always ALWAYS read ingredients. To clear up confusion with whether coconut oil or palm oil is from a nut, here is something I found. That said, always consult your allergist before trying anything new.

Two years ago, after many soy allergy reactions at work and not enough organic cosmetics or truly USDA Certified Organic products, I decided it was time to leave. I was also fed up with the superficial nature of the cosmetics industry and wanted to immerse my heart into works on canvas, not people's faces, which would get washed off.

While working amongst thousands of cosmetics, skincare and fragrances, I was only able to use one foundation whenever my eczema on my face was acting up and then that product suddenly started adding dimethicone. I remember the looks and comments I would get from people I was helping or doing makeup on when my soy allergy or dimethicone allergy was causing peeling, rashy issues around my lips and nose. I tried to exfoliate it, but it seemed to continue to peel no matter how much Vaseline or lip balm I applied. I tried to cover it with makeup, but skin texture and peeling skin is always visible, no matter what you do.

file000906102076

What you see in the mirror is all that matters.

At my last job, one older lady I was helping with eyeliner made a face and asked me why my skin was so dry, looking at the lower part of my face. When I tried to explain that it was eczema, (my skin was peeling within an inch and a half radius surrounding my lips) she went on to curtly advise me to start using Vaseline at night, since "its what helps her." When I said I tried that and its from eczema from allergies (which I don't even know why I bother explaining), she cut me off and told me again her prognosis on how to fix it and went back to looking for her eyeliner. Really?  

Being the 'Sensitive Sally' that I am, I promptly walked to the stockroom to wipe away the tears that had already started creeping up. Who knows, maybe it was that time of the month for me. My co-workers were amazingly supportive, telling me not to let her get to me...that she was just an aging woman who was probably just jealous and trying to pick on me.

 I felt better. Yet, everytime I looked in the mirror I got sad.

 Love looks through a telescope. Envy, through a microscope.


file8851274473595

See things through love...a telescope. And you will experience beauty you never imagined.




That day, I went on a mission to my nearby health food stores to find soy-free and dimethicone-free makeup and discovered two brands who seemed to have some safe items. Since that time, one has added soy to their products and the other never got back to me when I questioned them about the Vitamin E in their products.

Makeup, skincare and bath product ingredients are constantly changing; for this reason, you have to constantly read the ingredients of the same products you buy. Glycerin (usually derived from vegetable oil or soy) is in practically everything, as is Vitamin E (tocopherol acetate), PEGs and lecithin (also from soy). Let's not forget about GMOs and 'natural flavors'....for this reason, its a good idea to stick with USDA Certified Organic products since they are required to avoid GMOs. I also try to avoid parabens (preservative in foods, cosmetics, skincare and bath products) since propylparaben and anything with the suffix -paraben in the ingredient is known to have been found in breast cancer tumors. For people who have open cuts or rashes, it is a good idea to avoid all parabens so that they don't go directly into your bloodstream.

The reason why this really sucks is because I have found that theatrical makeup or makeup used for stage such as Kryolan, Ben Nye and Mehron, or even cheaper knockoffs like Coastal Scents usually have soy-free and dimethicone-free products but almost all of them use parabens as preservatives!

For people with eczema or severe allergies, most cosmetics and skincare is a catch-22, you can risk long-term cancer or get an allergic reaction.

Which one do you think is the lesser of the two evils for most people? Yes, that's right, the 'cigarettes' or the paraben-laden products....that is, until they or someone they love gets cancer

Another company, Afterglow Cosmetics happens to be all of the following:



  • Infused with USDA certified
    organic botanicals
  • Paraben free
  • Gluten free
  • Petrochemical free
  • Bismuth oxychloride free
  • Mercury free
  • Fragrance free
  • Talc free
  • Soy free
  • Cruelty free
  • Non-comedogenic

  • Their stearic acid is derived from cascarilla bark and palm lipids. They DO use dimethicone in a few of their products so read ingredients carefully if you are sensitive to dimethicone, too. Their vegetable glycerin is derived from palm and coconut, which is rare in the cosmetics industry. Their mineral foundation colors go from light to dark, which is also very rare in the healthier cosmetics lines.

    Ultra Pure Mineral Cosmetics also carries some soy-free and gluten-free products; read ingredients to be sure.

    As for soy-free lip balms, I found Badger brand to be the most safe.

    According to their website:

    About gluten: "Badger does not use any gluten or gluten-derived ingredients at our facility in New Hampshire, so our balms, oils, Anti-Bug Shake & Spray and Anti-Bug Stick are filled on machinery that has not processed gluten materials. However, Badger is not a certified gluten-free facility, so there cannot be a 100% guarantee. When using a new product for the first time, it is a good idea to read our full-disclosure labels carefully and/or perform a skin patch test prior to full use."

    About soy: "Currently there are only a few things in the Badger lineup that contain soy derivatives: the Anti-Bug Shake & Spray has Soybean Oil, our lotion-based sunscreens (SPF 16 Aloe Vera, and Damascus Rose SPF 16 Face Sunscreen) contain soy ingredients as part of the emulsifiers. Badger sunscreens manufactured prior to June 2012 contain Tocopherol (natural vitamin E), which is partially derived from soy. All of Badger Sunscreens manufactured after June 2012 are made with 100% Sunflower-derived Vitamin E. Look for this specification (eg: Tocopherol (Sunflower Vitamin E) on the product label if you have allergies.

    All the Body Oils and Massage Oils (including Baby Oil and Damascus Rose Face Oil) are filled using the same machine that fills the Anti-Bug Shake & Spray bottle. Although we are careful to perform GMP compliant cleanings between all batches to reduce the chance of cross contamination, we are not a certified Soy-free facility.

    All balms packaged in the tins are made on machinery that has not touched any soy ingredients. So, although we are not a certified soy-free facility, these items have very low risk of any cross contamination. When using a new product for the first time, it is a good idea to read our full-disclosure labels carefully and/or perform a
    skin patch test
    prior to full use."


     Most if not all of their products are USDA Certified Organic and many of their products are completely soy-free, dimethicone-free, paraben-free and gluten-free. For this reason, they are my go-to brand for their Madagascar Vanilla Lip Balm and the Anti-Bug Balm (it works and smells sooo good) which I always have in my bag during the warmer months when I go to the beach, nature trails or anywhere bugs may thrive.

    For facial skincare, a couple of Twitter friends recommended Premae Skincare from the UK whose products are reknowned for being allergy-safe and free of nuts and soy! So exciting...they even have anti-wrinkle creams!!! Their vitamin E is coconut-sourced and all other ingredients can be found in their 'ingredients' section.

    If you or your baby is as sensitive as I am and on a budget, your best bet is to MAKE YOUR OWN soap. Lately, I've been using Allafia African Shea Butter Soap which I buy from Whole Foods. Its SO much cheaper than California Baby products and is fair-trade certified. The only ingredients are:  African Mint (Ocimum canum) Extract (Aqueous), African Black Soap (Saponified Shea Butter* (Butyrospermum Parkii) and Palm Kernel Oil (Elaeis guineensis)), Lauryl Glucoside, Peppermint Essential Oil.
    *Certified Fair for Life-Social and FairTrade by IMO. You can use it as shampoo, shaving cream and soap. I'm not too keen on the peppermint smell so I revamp it!!! I add some Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla from my kitchen pantry to about 1 cup of the soap to warm up the scent and about 25 drops of soy-free vitamin E (find the link on this post) to preserve the product.You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil to make it antibacterial.


    As for conditioner, the best way to keep it soy-free, dimethicone-free and gluten-free is to honestly make it yourself. I've found even products for the MOST sensitive skin make my skin sting or aggravate my eczema. Here is a recipe I found on Pinterest. Hopefully it works for you!












    You really can find a DIY (do it yourself) recipe on Pinterest for practically anything. Sure, these recipes might be time consuming but some are definitely worth it. For lotions, I use pure olive oil, jojoba oil or extra-virgin organic coconut oil after the shower (which doubles as deodorant because of it's antibacterial properties).

    I also found this DIY Body Butter recipe. OMIT the almond oil and use olive instead. Also omit the lavender oil if you're allergic to legumes and if you need a scent, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil, like ylang ylang or clove (for a warmer, spicier scent). Follow the rest of directions precisely.

    So here is the run-down of trickier soy derivatives to avoid when examining ingredients in beauty, bath and hair products:
    • Vegetable protein or vegetable oil (usually soy-sourced)
    • Soy lecithin/lecithin
    • Guar gum (close legume cousin of soybeans or 'finished' with about 10% soy during manufacturing)
    • Mono/Di/Tri-glycerides (are frequently soy-based glycerine)


    • oleic acid - from vegetable oil which is usually soy

    •  polyamide 3 - usually derived from soy protein

    • PEG 5 (soy sterol)

    • PEG 10 (soy sterol)

    • PEG 16 (soy sterol)

    • PEG 25 (soy sterol)

    • PEG 30 (soy sterol)

    • PEG 40 (soy sterol)

    • Glycerin/glycerine/vegetable glycerin (Usually comes from soy but sometimes comes from palm or coconut)

    • Glycine soja - soy amino acid that works as texturizer for hair

    • Stearic acid/vegetable stearic acid - Usually from soy; may come from palm or other plant sources; to be sure, contact company if source isn't labeled. Be aware that this ingredient is also in many supplements and medicines.

    • Magnesium stearate

    • Vitamin E - (tocopherol acetate/tocopherols)

    • 'Natural flavors' - This ingredient is iffy, since some natural flavors are GMOs which are made from soy/corn.
    I will add to this list and topic as I discover new soy-free and nut-free products. Feel free to comment and let us know what your favorite soy-free products are!






    39 comments:

    1. I don't know if you have tried Bare Minerals, but I have found great success with them. I am only allergic to soy however, so I am not sure about your other allergies. I also love Badger, after I had to give up my Burt's Bees obsession, they were the closest I found.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I just checked out bareminerals.co.uk and this is what it had to say.

        Do your products contain Lecithin and where do you source it from? :(

        Some of our products may contain Lecithin, please provide specifics so we may give you an appropriate answer. Generally the lecithin used in our products is soy derived.

        Delete
    2. Hi Betsey!

      Thank you for the suggestion! We used to use 'Bare Minerals/Bare Escentuals' on clients when I was at Sephora...its good if you are younger or have oily skin, but for me and my tendency towards dry/combination skin, powder/mineral foundations look dry and cakey (especially if I'm having a reaction) so I usually go for creams and liquids.

      Also, the 'Mineral Veil' (which in my opinion is a MUST over the powder foundations) contains magnesium stearate which could be from soy, but I'd have to check with the company to be sure; although, if you're not reacting to it, then maybe its not. =)

      And yes, Badger is awesome <3 I know, Burt's Bees and Aveeno, why can't you divorce the soy industry, already? Come back to us...

      ReplyDelete
    3. I cannot tell you enough I appreciate your research and that you are willing to let me share! :) My readers thank you!

      Do you know of any multivitamins that are soy-free other than the L'il Critters? Like adult multivitamins? I am having trouble finding them.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hey Julie!

      Awww, I'm so glad I could help! I'm using Solgar Formula VM-75 (with red stripe on gold label)...I've used it for the past ten years because it is simply in my opinion the most effective multi you can buy...I literally feel a difference if I don't take it for a couple days. It specifically says 'soy-free' on the label. Make sure you do not choose the VM-75 that has a big "V" on the front with tiny lettering, since that VM-75 does NOT have soy-free on the label, so it may contain soy. Here is the url for the soy-free one:

      http://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Iron-Free-Formula-VM-75-180T/dp/B00172KVJA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1360637282&sr=8-10&keywords=solgar+vm-75

      I also take Solgar Ester-C 1000 mg which definitely helps with inflammation. I read on an ayurvedic info site that "It is also helpful to get 2,000 mg. of vitamin C a day, the dose shown to dampen histamine production by 40% in seven days." I take 3000-4000 (split up through the day, WITH meals to avoid upset stomach) and find it definitely does help with my environmental allergies as well as my immune system. Their Ester C is definitely soy-free and says so on the label. Here's the url:

      http://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Ester-C-Vitamin-Tablets-Ascorbate/dp/B00014D1BU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360637357&sr=1-1&keywords=solgar+ester+c

      I also take extra B6 and B12 both by Solgar and both of those bottles specifically say soy-free. You can read more about the company here:

      http://www.solgar.com/

      Also, you can find alot of the Solgar line in Vitamin Shoppe, but unfortunately, the soy-free Formula VM-75 can usually only be found online. If you need extra of a particular vitamin, though, they are usually easy to find at Vitamin Shoppe (good for if you can't wait), but usually cheaper on Amazon.

      I hope that helps! =)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks, Maya! :) I'll pass the word along!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Thank you. I have figured out most of this, however, I wasn't sure about the tocopherol acetate/tocopherols. And didn't know about the PEGs. Do you know of mascara and eyeliner that is soy free? I have had extensive conversations with Valerie of Valana Minerals. Her mineral makeup ranges in skin tone, although primarily services olive to darker tones. Her makeup is soy free. Glad to have found your blog. My challenge is not with nuts. It is scents, egg, soy, and sea minerals. How fun!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Janet,

      You're so welcome! Yes, Afterglow Cosmetics, which I listed the link in the beginning of this post are completely soy-free and have eyeliners and mascaras along with many other beauty products. All lines I listed on this page have many soy-free products and all advertisers I include on this blog are carefully selected; I only put up companies that have soy-free and nut-free items.

      Aww scents are tough and so are sea minerals since many of the natural lines add those as well. I hope you find what you need at Afterglow and thank you for the tip about Valana!

      I hope my posts continue to help you.

      All the best =)


      ReplyDelete
    8. I am allergic to soy, and my wife and I are just learning about the difficulties of finding soy free cosmetics that are safe for kissing :)

      Some things to add to your soy list:

      Mono/Di/Tri-glycerides are frequently soy (ie they are glycerin)
      MSG can be made from soy

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Joe,

        Thank you so much for that info! I will definitely add! And I never thought MSG would be in skincare and cosmetics products but its true--anything is possible when it comes to companies trying to save money!!! Grrr.

        Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment =)

        Delete
    9. Great post! Keep up the good work! I think you should check out the Lise Watier Teint Mousse Matifiant foundation! It is soy, gluten and alcohol free! I love it! I have a soy and gluten allergy and it never has caused me problems! It also prevents acne!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Anonymous,

        Thank you for the suggestion but this product contains dimethicone and trimethicone, both of which I'm severely allergic to and many are sensitive to. Thank you for stopping by! =)

        Delete
    10. I've been trying to be on the lookout for soy ingredients in the body and face products I use but it's hard, they disguise them!! I totally hear you on the flaking skin. If I have a bad reaction, I get the exact same thing around my mouth and nose! It's such a pain. Thank you for this list! Are there any home cleaning products you use that don't think cause reactions? :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Emily,

        As for cleaning products, I am a big believer in nitrile gloves and a face mask lol. I use lots of Lysol Wipes on surfaces and Wet Swiffers for the floor. If it is a surface I'm leaning on (like in Starbucks or Whole Foods) I wipe my table surface with Wet Ones products which I find I haven't reacted to.

        I will run around the house and create a blog on this since so many are probably wondering what to use, especially with crawling babies or severely allergic children in the house. I think the safest bet is to create your own products at home since they seem to also be the most effective!

        Thank you for reading and stopping by! =)

        Delete
    11. Great article ...Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much Certified organic makeup! This made my day! =)

        Delete
    12. This is a great blog! I am currently soy and gluten free and it has made the biggest difference in my health! Its so nice to see that you are helping spread the awareness! Keep up the awesome posts! You can check out my soy and gluten free blog as well if you like!

      http://soyandglutenfreebeauty.wordpress.com/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Sheena,

        Thank you so much for stopping by and I will def check out your blog as well! Yes, the more awareness we spread, the more changes can happen...

        Its always a pleasure to hear from others who go through the same thing I do =)

        Delete
    13. Thank you SO much for this post! I am gluten free and have a severe soy allergy, which I just found out about a few months ago, after being sick for so long. My skin still hasn't cleared up from all the little red bumps and I didn't even THINK that it could be my makeup. I know... silly, right? Anyway, thanks for compiling this list. It has been tremendously helpful!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Danielle,

      I'm so sorry you were diagnosed, but at least you now know exactly what to avoid! Stay positive and thank you so much for stopping by. It means a lot =)

      ReplyDelete
    15. UPDATE: WET ONES WIPES ARE NOT SAFE AND NOW CAUSE REACTIONS FOR ME :(

      ReplyDelete
    16. Thank you so much for this list. Our 5 year old daughter is allergic to soy & has just recently started reacting to derivatives... Printed 3 of this list and will keep on me, in my husbands' wallet and in our car!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Jess,

      You are so very welcome!!! We are discovering more sources because of new technology and innovations (unfortunately for us) so stay tuned. I'm really glad I could help....I know my mom went through so much with me as well...thank you for stopping by!

      ReplyDelete
    18. Check out UltraPureCosmetics.com for a really great selection of gluten, soy, dairy, corn free products. No bismuth, dyes/lakes/parabens.

      ReplyDelete
    19. This is a response I got back from clinique. I recently found out I have a soy, peanut, and tree nut allergy. And all of my face care have been clinique products. :( .... is it possible the soy, peanuts, and tree nuts are causing my skin to break out so badly? What do you recommend for the scaring left from the inflammation and acne? Could a dermatologist be helpful?

      Thank you for your interest in Clinique.

      As you may be aware, people allergic to peanuts may also react to soybeans, peas, other legumes and tree nuts, such as walnuts and Brazil nuts.  It has been acknowledged in the medical community that tree nut allergic reactions coexist in nearly one third of the peanut allergic population.  For this reason, Estee Lauder Companies takes a very serious and conservative approach in responding to you.

       
      A vast number of raw materials from many different suppliers and sources are used in the manufacture of Estee Lauder Companies' products.  It is therefore not possible for us to fully guarantee that our products are completely free of ingredients that may elicit an allergic response in highly sensitive individuals who react to legumes and nuts.  For example, it is possible that small amounts of a soybean sourced ingredient or trace amounts of peanut oil may remain on shared manufacturing equipment even after a thorough cleaning.  Even trace amounts of allergens can trigger a severe reaction when a peanut sensitive individual comes in contact with them (i.e., hugging/kissing your peanut sensitive child while wearing cosmetics).  We therefore recommend that you discuss this with your physician because consumer safety is of utmost concern to us.

      With regard to your inquiry:

       

      Soft Pressed Powder Blush in Mocha Pink does not contain soy; Contains Nut derived ingredients

      Perfectly Real Compact Makeup contains soy; Contains Nut derived ingredients

      Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup contains soy; Contains Nut derived ingredients

      Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 20 contains soy; Contains Nut derived ingredients

      Liquid Facial Soap - Oily Skin Formula does not contain soy; Contains coconut

      Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel contains Soy; Contains Nut derived ingredients

      Clarifying Lotion 4 contains soy; Contains Nut derived ingredients

      Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser contains soy ;Contains Nut derived ingredients

      7 Day Scrub Cream Rinse-Off Formula contains soy; Contains Nut derived ingredients


      I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your question, and sincerely hope I was able to be of assistance. You are valued as our consumer and I hope you will continue to use and enjoy our products with confidence and satisfaction.

      Sincerely,

      Melissa P
      Consumer Response Representative

      ReplyDelete
    20. Amanda,

      Yes, see a dermatologist and ask to be tested for dimethicone allergy. I believe they can test for many common chemicals, although I'm not sure. I know several PEGs as well as glycerin and vitamin E are usually derived from soy as well. I know I react to Clinique and most of Estee Lauder's brands, including MAC due to soy and dimethicone. I also break out in acne from chemical sunscreens in products, so you could be sensitive to those, too, but its definitely a good idea to get tested.

      Right now, I'm using Coastal Scents camouflage palette (although it has parabens) for my face since it seems the least of all the evils and doesn't seem to cause a reaction. Since its pretty heavy, I use a homemade moisturizer underneath.

      I hope that helps and please don't hesitate to ever ask questions. Also, thank you for sharing Estee Lauder's response...I'm sure that will help those who visit this page!

      Sending you healing hugs....

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am allergic to soy as well. would you mine sharing your homeade moisturizer with me?

        Delete
    21. Hi Maya,

      I really appreciate your blog! I am allergic to soy, tomato, carrageenan and now dairy. All adult allergies starting with soy in 2007. I am so frustrated with how many companies we are losing to soy! I looked up the vitamins you suggested above...checked the amazon link and then went to their website...looked at the label...none said soy free. Did they change since last year?

      I noticed you list cosmetics companies that avoid soy. There's one in Canada called Bellephoria that's soy, gluten,GMO free but they use carnuba wax. I ordered it not knowing what to expect. Well, it's heavy for a mineral make-up. And the textures seem antiquated for the lipsticks and cover-up (stiff and waxy - not creamy). The eyeshadows are ok. I'm trying Ultra Pure right now but I won't be able to really tell until my current flare-up calms down. My face is on FIRE with eczema & acne from a cross contamination issue at a friends house. In fact, I'm heading to a walk-in clinic in a few minutes to get a steroid shot and some antibiotics. Ugh!

      Would you mind sharing your home-made moisturizer recipe with me? I am terrified to put anything on my face until it heals.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Tami,

      Thanks for the heads up and yes, they probably did because now I buy most vitamins separately. I've been ordering the B-Complex-100 on Amazon which def says soy-free. Here's the link. http://amzn.to/ZW8Pim and I also take the Solgar Ester C after every meal which is def soy-free as well! Link: http://amzn.to/131fQjP

      As for Vitamin D, I use BlueBonnet which, surprisingly doesn't give me a reaction even though I'm allergic to lanolin. And it is soy-free. http://amzn.to/1zepVqJ

      I also noticed recently I was able to use E.L.F concealer (the cheap makeup brand in Walmart) in the Tan color...(I ran out last minute of Coastal Scents concealer) and it worked fine! It didn't make me itch at all however it is a bit more moist so I only use it mainly under eyes and inner corners to brighten dark circles. Hopefully it will work for you, too once you're healed....

      Send me an email @ Foodallergyfairy@live.com and I'll see what I can do. =)

      ReplyDelete
    23. Tami,

      By the way, I'm adding more and more dairy-free recipes since I notice a delayed allergy to dairy, too. I'm sorry you're struggling, I def know what that's like. *hugs* I'm also allergic to nightshades and get itchy mouth and a delayed reaction, just like with dairy, so I try to avoid them, although I know its def not easy. Let me know how the makeup goes! And if you're on FB def join the Soy Allergy Board...so much info on there added all the time =)

      ReplyDelete
    24. What about laundry detergents? I've been using natural, plant based detergents, which I'm sure have soy in them. Can anyone recommend a soy free detergent? TIA

      ReplyDelete
    25. Thank you for making this blog!! I was wondering if you know any moisturizers that are soy-free that I can use before I use any soy free make up.

      ReplyDelete
    26. Thank you for posting! I recently found (though I've been too nervous to try) a brand called Kiss Freely that is free from the top 8 allergens. You might love it! I also use Big and American Cream from Lush as shampoo and conditioner and have never had an issue with my soy/nut allergies. Looking forward to trying Afterglow. Thanks for the tip!

      ReplyDelete
    27. I liked the way you put together everything, there is certainly no need to go any further to look for any additional information. You mentioned each and everything that too with much of ease.


      organic soybean meal

      ReplyDelete
    28. thank you so much for all the information show here. I spoke with Dermalogica today after a soy reaction at a health spa - this is the list of products that contain soy in them....

      Further to our recent telephone conversation regarding your allergy to soya, please find below a list of products in which it is contained.

      Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein
      · Power Rich™ (Retail)
      · AGE Smart® Complex (Professional)

      Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract
      · Body Microfoliant™ (Professional)
      · MultiVitamin Thermafoliant® (Retail & Professional)

      Glycine Soja Protein
      · Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50 (Retail & Professional)

      Lecithin
      · MultiVitamin Power Serum (Retail)
      · Breakout Clearing Daytime Treatment (Retail)
      · Skin Renewal Booster (Retail)
      · Extra Firming Booster (Retail)
      · UltraSensitive Tint SPF30 (Retail)
      · Intensive Eye Repair (Retail)
      · Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50 (Retail & Professional)
      · Solar Defense Booster SPF50 (Retail & Professional)
      · Skin Smoothing Cream (Retail & Professional)
      · Intensive Moisture Balance (Retail & Professional)
      · Antioxidant HydraMist (Retail & Professional)
      · Active Moist (Retail & Professional)
      · Niacinamide IonActive™ (Professional)
      · Exfoliant Accelerator 35 (Professional)
      · ExoThermal Gelloid (Professional)
      · Retinol 1% IonActive™ (Professional)
      · Hyaluronic Acid IonActive™ (Professional)
      · Oligopeptide IonActive™ (Professional)

      ReplyDelete
    29. Further to our recent telephone conversation regarding your allergy to soya, please find below a list of products in which it is contained.

      Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein
      · Power Rich™ (Retail)
      · AGE Smart® Complex (Professional)

      Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract
      · Body Microfoliant™ (Professional)
      · MultiVitamin Thermafoliant® (Retail & Professional)

      Glycine Soja Protein
      · Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50 (Retail & Professional)

      Lecithin
      · MultiVitamin Power Serum (Retail)
      · Breakout Clearing Daytime Treatment (Retail)
      · Skin Renewal Booster (Retail)
      · Extra Firming Booster (Retail)
      · UltraSensitive Tint SPF30 (Retail)
      · Intensive Eye Repair (Retail)
      · Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50 (Retail & Professional)
      · Solar Defense Booster SPF50 (Retail & Professional)
      · Skin Smoothing Cream (Retail & Professional)
      · Intensive Moisture Balance (Retail & Professional)
      · Antioxidant HydraMist (Retail & Professional)
      · Active Moist (Retail & Professional)
      · Niacinamide IonActive™ (Professional)
      · Exfoliant Accelerator 35 (Professional)
      · ExoThermal Gelloid (Professional)
      · Retinol 1% IonActive™ (Professional)
      · Hyaluronic Acid IonActive™ (Professional)
      · Oligopeptide IonActive™ (Professional)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Rachel,

        You are so welcome. Thank you for adding this information. I took a hiatus and only saw this now. Hope your journey has gotten easier and thank you for stopping by!

        Delete
    30. Hi. I have a new found soy allergy after recently taking a skin test. It is so frustrating and discouraging in the pursuit of finding food and hygiene products that dont contain soy, since soy has many other names. I am writing you because I recently bought aveeno lotion and was wondering if its soy free?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ira,

        Thank you for your patience. I had taken a hiatus from the blog but I'm back.

        I'm sorry for your current diagnosis. Please know there is hope that miracles do happen and there are many who also go through what you do. Aveeno and most products on the market contain soy derivatives such as glycerine or tocopherol acetate. You can find the exhaustive list on the right side of the blog. California Baby products are safe and sometimes you will get lucky in the baby section of a health food store. Some Honest Company products are safe. Badger lip balm in unscented is safe. Unfortunately, if it is not actually labeled as 'soy-free' or USDA Organic and non-gmo, I wouldn't chance it.

        I hope this helps and thank you for stopping by!

        Delete