Friday, October 3, 2014

BEST Soy-Free Gluten-Free Chinese Fried Rice EVER!

Growing up part Asian (Filipino), I think an affinity to Asian cuisine ran through my genes...especially Chinese food. For two decades I was able to eat it without an allergic reaction, until my soy allergy became much worse and I could no longer eat soy sauce or anything made with soy. Because of my experience and passion for Asian cuisine, I am extremely particular with my Chinese food and was incredibly disappointed to visit P.F. Chang's about a year and a half ago (since apparently they print out a menu specifically for you once you tell them your allergies) and all I could eat there was a plate of rice and steamed frozen vegetables which they didn't even bother to put any spices or herbs on (which were....GASP! frozen!) FYI: No decent Chinese place uses frozen vegetables. It was that horrible experience that forced me to figure out my own homemade recipe for one of my favorite dishes, Chinese Fried Rice. 

And since coming from Vegas and hearing my mom complain about the Chinese food everywhere she went, I realized its time to share my homemade soy-free gluten-free Chinese Fried Rice recipe with all of you. So I made it tonight....
Maya's Soy-Free Gluten-Free Chinese Fried Rice


This is what Chinese Fried Rice should taste like and I'm willing to say that even your family won't realize the difference. Be forewarned; this dish does not taste soy-free and gluten-free so if you are cooking for a loved one with soy allergy or Celiac disease, they may need to see all the ingredients to believe you.



Ingredients

3.5 Cups cooked White Jasmine Rice (we have a rice cooker but if you don't, simply make it yourself, taking away four tablespoons water from the recipe so that your rice is not too mushy and lends itself well to frying. The best frying rice is white jasmine rice that's a day or two old from the fridge!)

1.5 Cups Broccoli

5 USDA Organic Eggs (I use Pete and Gerry's)

7 Tbs Coconut Secret Organic Raw Coconut Aminos Soy-Free Sauce (Please note: If you have peanut allergy and haven't tried coconut aminos, I wouldn't recommend it since they have this warning on their website. I haven't had a reaction, but that doesn't mean you won't either, so use this at your own risk)

4 Tablespoons of sesame butter (I use 365 Everyday Value Tahini) or 1/2 tsp of cumin (if allergic to sesame)

3-4 Tbs Panda Brand Green Label Oyster Flavoured Sauce (make sure you get green label which has no MSG added and is gluten-free)

4 stalks of Organic Scallions (also known as Green Onions) (sliced fine)

2 Tbs Organic Shallots (minced)

1 small Organic Red Onion (chopped)

3-4 cloves fresh Organic Garlic (minced)

1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger

4 Tablespoons Kirkland Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (this I get from my nearby Costco; it is the only olive oil I cook with and trust not to contain soy)

1/2 teaspoon and two pinches Celtic Sea Salt


Sprinkles of Bragg Nutritional Yeast
(adds a savory flavor but its optional)




Directions

In a small bowl, beat eggs, 2 Tbs sesame butter, 3 Tbs coconut aminos and two pinches of salt.



scrambling eggs to add to Chinese Fried Rice
Do not overcook eggs! Keep them soft to add to frying rice later!



















Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in small Teflon-coated saucepan on low-medium heat. Add beaten egg mixture, turn heat up to medium and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom every minute or two to avoid burning. Once the egg is cooked yet still soft as you see in the picture, remove from heat and let cool on a different burner on the side. In a small bowl, combine garlic, shallots and ginger.



In another bowl, combine scallions and onions. Heat on low-medium 2 Tbs olive oil and 4 Tbs sesame butter in large wok or Teflon-coated saucepan. Add the garlic/shallot/ginger mixture and saute for 3-4 minutes until mixture seems to tenderize.


Add scallions and onions along with the 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Immediately add broccoli, 4 Tbs coconut aminos and rice. Fold all ingredients together several times and sprinkle the 1/2 teaspoon of salt about a foot or two away from the pan so that salt doesn't concentrate in one area. Turn down heat to low-medium and fold several more times so that all ingredients are thoroughly mixed and rice is uniformly tanned from the aminos and oyster sauce. Once your mixture pretty much looks like this and the green in the broccoli has brightened to a flaming green but are not overcooked and still have a nice snap to them when you bite in, add your scrambled eggs, break up with your spatula, toss and your fried rice is DONE! If you wish and want to round out the flavor, add a few sprinklings of Bragg's Nutritious Yeast to send this recipe over the top!


Bon apetit! Tell me how amazing this came out and leave your comments below...

















No comments:

Post a Comment